Cloud customers are able to access their hosted services from anywhere with a VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection. We use the Cisco AnyConnect software to enable this, which is very straightforward to set up.
You are able to connect to the AnyConnect VPN on the following platforms:
- Windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8
- Mac OS X v10.6 or later
- Linux (we recommend using the open source OpenConnect client on Linux which typically works better than the official Cisco software)
- Apple iOS (iPhone, iPad)
- Android (4.x+)
First time setup
- In a web browser, go to
- Enter the VPN login details you received from Ace. These are typically your cloud-hosted e-mail address (e.g. email@example.com) and the password is typically synchronised with your terminal server password.
- You will be prompted to install the Cisco AnyConnect software. Answer Yes or Allow to any Java or ActiveX security boxes. Depending on your security settings, you may also be prompted to perform a “manual installation” — if so, proceed with this.
- Eventually, you should have a “Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client” installed. Open this, and you will be prompted for some details:
- VPN server:
- Username: your cloud-hosted e-mail (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Password: same as your terminal server password
- VPN server:
- You should now be able to launch your remote desktop program and log on to your terminal server as usual.
You do not need to browse to
https://vpn.acenet.com.au/ for day-to-day use. Instead, the “Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client” will be installed into your Start menu or Applications folder that lets you launch your VPN client directly.
From time to time, we push out security updates received from Cisco, which causes your VPN software to attempt to automatically update itself. Normally this works fine, but can occasionally fail.
If upgrading fails and you can no longer use the VPN, please try repeating the “first time setup” steps above, including launching the browser at the VPN site and try re-downloading the VPN client.
If that still does not work, try uninstalling the VPN client and then reinstalling it. On Windows, this can be done through Control Panel → Uninstall a program. On Mac OS X, there is an “Uninstall Cisco AnyConnect” icon inside the Applications folder.
Mobile devices (Apple iOS and Android)
When prompted for the VPN server, enter
vpn.acenet.com.au and use your username/password as above.
Please note there are known problems with using the mobile apps due to limitations of the AnyConnect app in both the iOS and Android versions. Unfortunately these problems are not fixable by Ace, so we recommend using a desktop whenever possible.